Archive of the former Yahoo!Groups mailing list: MOTM

previous by date index next by date
  topic list next in topic

Subject: Carriers

From: "Dave Bradley" <daveb@...>
Date: 1999-10-25

Dear Crank:

> Many synth modules have two inputs that act upon each other, and these are
> typically called the "carrier" and "modulator." Now common sense says that
> the "carrier" ought to be the signal that is being modified, and the
> "modulator" is the one doing the modifying. At least whenever such a
> distinction can be made.

I totally agree with you. We are right and the rest of the world is wrong.
The voices inside my head told me so.

I was beaten into calling
> positive-going waves "ramps" and negative, "sawtooths," with full
> knowledge
> that these were arbitrary names for otherwise identical waves. But I was
> told that these were agreed-upon conventions in the E-Music world to help
> make things simple.
> Yet years later, I seem to be the only person who's ever heard of
> this. And
> it seemed like such a good convention. Did my mentors make this
> up? It would
> seem to be a pretty localized convention.

Never heard that one. In my world, ramps go both up and down.