Archive of the former Yahoo!Groups mailing list: Korg Poly800/EX800 Users

Subject: Arranger for HAWK-800

From: "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@...>
Date: 2009-04-30

1) A global parameter - Arranger Mode - would allow choosing "arp", "arp hold" or "arranger learn" and "arranger play" modes. Arranger learn mode allows selecting which arrangement you wish to play and edit using the numeric keypad. So there would be 8 arrangements available. Each one would contain 32 notes.
2) Another global parameter - Arrangement Play Order - allows choosing the type of arranger pattern play mode. 0=play arrangement 1 only, 2=play arrangements 1213121..., 3=play 123456781234... and other arrangements would be available in the list.
3) Another global parameter allows setting the number of MIDI clock (or on board seq. clock) ticks per beat (anywhere from 1 to 32 ticks per beat).
4) To get into arranger mode, hold down the Poly button and press Start. The arranger immediately starts playing. If you've have not recorded anything into the arranger then it will be silent.
5) Display would show "Ax yy zz" where A means ARP or Arrange, x is the current accent type, yy is the current selected pattern and zz is the current position in that pattern.
4) You enter notes at any time in the arrangement by hitting them in time with the arranger. The arranger would be monophonic and inserts hit keys into the arrangement in time with the sequence. This allows you to write in notes at any point in the arrangement. Pressing the write key deletes the next note that would be played in the arrangement. So holding down the write key through the entire arrangement (32 notes) would clear all the notes.
5) The current accent (x) is the type of accent data you want to enter in real time. Pressing the Up/Down buttons would cycle through the possible values. 0=VCF cutoff, 1=resonance, 2=decay time (others?). You use the joystick to select the desired amount of accent and at the moment in the arrangement that you want the accent applied (inserted) you press the step key. The next note will have that accent applied. The accent value is calculated by taking the patches actual set value and adding or subtracting from it according to the Y axis deflection of the joystick.
6) When in "arranger learn" mode, you can select any one of the eight possible arrangements by pressing 1-8 on the keypad. The display (yy) will change from 01 thru 08 according to which arrangement is playing. In this manner, you can edit all 8 different arrangements one at a time because in learn mode, the one arrangement repeats endlessly. So you would edit one, select another one using the keypad, edit that one, select the next one and so on.
7) When in "arranger play" mode, the arrangements are played in sequence according to the global parameter "Arranger Play Order". We will have to come up with a list of the types of ordering that we want.
8) There would be no way to adjust the duration of the notes other than a global parameter that sets the note hold time after the note onset measured in ticks (1-64). So a note hold of 1 means turn the note off one tick after the note comes on whereas a note hold of 12 would keep the note held for 12 ticks.
9) The beat position in the arrangement is displayed in the last two digits of the display (yy) and constantly changes as the arranger plays through the notes. So it the display would show 01,02,03...32,01,02,03...32...

That doesn't sound too complicated now does it?

Mike.