Archive of the former Yahoo!Groups mailing list: Korg Poly800/EX800 Users

Subject: Re: Progress

From: "patrioticduo" <patrioticduo@...>
Date: 2006-05-08

The MDK ROM was for the Poly 800 MK1 only. It made the original Poly
800 sysex capable.

The MKII and EX both had built in sysex.

Mind you, the sysex implementation was very basic.

So I was hoping I could find someone with the MDK ROM but it doesn't
matter a great deal. In the end, doing the full disassembly of the
EX800 and Poly 800 should be enough.

I don't have a MKII so won't be "coding" to that.

My inclination is to focus on the EX because it is going to be far
more simple to work on a module with no keyboard and no joystick.

Plus, it is going to be easier to drop in a retro fit kit in the EX.

But hey, this is going to take a couple of years anyway.

I'll check in again in a week or so after I get copies of the ROM's.

Mike H.

--- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <arf_hotdogdeity@...>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I'm glad i'm not the only person who thinks this is a good idea.
> > I could do without the LCD even just for an arpeggiator (maybe
tied in
> > with the sequencer like the roland SH32 does?)
> >
> > I'll see if i can find a EEPROM reader/writer for cheap. I'm not
too
> > scared to take a soldering iron to my gear :)
> > I've got a poly800MkII and i don't know how much different this is
> > going to be from the ex800.
> >
> > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "patrioticduo" <patrioticduo@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, this might take a few years but here are my plans.
> > >
> > > I see all these great modifications being done but wouldn't it
be nice
> > > if they were fully supported within the programming of the
instrument
> > > itself? Why drill all of those nasty holes in your Poly when
you could
> > > program them right from the front panel? Ok, since we're
thinking
> > > about that, why not replace the display and keys with a more up
> > > date method. Maybe LCD with some real descriptions on the
screen? And
> > > those switches aren't going to last forever.
> > >
> > > So at this point, I've found an 8085 disassembler. Over the
next few
> > > weeks I'm going to make a copy of the EX800 ROM and also a copy
of the
> > > Poly-800 ROM. Dad - I promise I'll be REALLY careful!
> > >
> > > DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN MDK ROM IN THEIR POLY-800? I would really,
really
> > > like a copy of it.
> > >
> > > And then, I am going to start disassembling the code (read: big
job).

> > > I bought the Korg PS-800/EX-800 Rescue Kit and it is well worth
the
> > > money but I was bitterly disappointed to find that the MDK ROM
> > > contents were not on the CD. I sort of feel a little bit misled
by the
> > > promo on eBay because it sort of implies that the MDK ROM was
on the
> > > CD but in fact, it's just the MIDI implementation document
which is
> > > useful ony if you have the ROM. Anyway...
> > >
> > > If I can disassemble the code then I am going to be in a
position to
> > > work out what all of the code does. I may be able to determine
how
> > > much ROM space is used for such features as scanning the
keyboard, the
> > > sequencer, the chord programming, etc. Since the entire
keyboard and
> > > all switches are based around an X Y matrix it is possible we
would
> > > save a lot of code space just by reengineering the keyboard
system. We
> > > could reclaim a lot of memory by removing the sequencer
entirely too!

> > > Then, we'll be in a position to integrate digital
potentiometers where