[sdiy] Advice on finding Synth/IOT/AUDIO work? job boards etc

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 09:36:38 CET 2024

Also, a note on extending your runway and chances:

1. move somewhere cheap, if you can still collect unemployment while
doing that. With family if possible. They'll be annoying. It's more
annoying to be homeless.

2. start penny pinching. It's a long way going from zingers every day,
but survival diet is: the cheapest pasta you can buy in bulk, or rice
+ some sort of fat + salt, once a day. When buying something, always
look at how much it costs *per kilo* (or per pound in your case).
Sometimes products marketed to poor people or people trying to save
are more expensive... be smart with those numbers.

My survival diet is:
- penne bought in bulk when it's 2 for 1, but only because at that
point it's the cheapest, not because it's 2 for 1 (often 2 for 1's are
more expensive than the cheapest option)
- some pesto (goes a long way)
- rice
- ebly (aka "wheat rice" aka parboiled wheat berries)
- butter
- iodised salt
- loose tea
- sugar
- some sort of strawberry jam
- apple cider vinegar
- olive oil (bulk, the least expensive one that's still in a glass
bottle and not plastic)

one warm meal a day, cook the rice / ebly / penne according to
instructions minus 1-3 minutes, drain, then fry it up with some butter
in a pan, serve in a bowl, put the various fats on it and some salt
and a little vinegar. learn to time your cooking so it isn't all
mushy. this is the one meal you get, make sure you can enjoy it.

3. reach out to everyone you know and ask them if they have a job for
you or know of someone. ask if you can give them your cv or if they
can give you feedback on it. apply that feedback. by everyone i mean
everyone. anyone who you interact with on social media, anyone you
worked with previously in some capacity, anyone you helped with a
project at some point.

4. post that you're looking for work on every kind of social media you
have, including your snazzy labs stuff. put your cv out there.

5. every time you hear a company is doing well and you know something
about how they operate, apply to them. they don't get in the news by
being poor.

6. don't apply to mega large companies like ibm, canonical, hp, etc.
their employment processes are extremely drawn out and they don't
really need you in particular, so they're picky and annoying about it.
it's a waste of time. your target demographic is the scrappy startup
between 1 and 100 employees.

7. be in every tech community for every tech you know or have used in
some way, and in each one, ask them where the job posts are being
made. check for job posts every day. have them all open in tabs in
your browser and make it your morning routine to go through all of
them.

8. find supportive friends and talk to them about your hardship in
finding the new job and ask them for emotional guidance

9. things are already dire so don't be afraid to ask people for money
support. start a gofundme, start a patreon.