[sdiy] MIDI Clock sync advice

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Mar 11 02:25:30 CET 2024

One thing I forgot to mention is that time stamps allow transport jitter to be corrected. So long as the time stamps themselves are not subject to jitter, and the largest jitter delay is known, then the sequencer can force a fixed latency between input and output. The accurate time stamps (if available) can be used to schedule output MIDI at a fixed latency / delay. That latency could be 5 ms, 10 ms, or maybe as high as 12 ms (depending upon other latency in the signal path), but the musicians will automatically adapt to reasonable latency after the jitter is corrected / removed.

This is where technology like CoreMIDI and MOTU's MTP are beneficial. They're not available everywhere, though.

Brian