[sdiy] MIDI Clock sync advice

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat Mar 9 02:48:52 CET 2024

The thing is that the Arduino platforms should be capable of handling this perfectly. As far as I know, the Mega and Teensy are both at least 8 times as fast as the kinds of processors that were being used in the eighties when MIDI was designed. Granted, there are a few examples of poor firmware design in vintage products, but there are also plenty of examples of rock-solid timing that are legendary.

It all comes down to understanding of low-level programming. Modern environments make it easy to ignore many details and get things done to some degree, but there's no substitute for a thorough understanding of both hardware and firmware that results in an efficient design.

Brian