[sdiy] MIDI Clock sync advice

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat Mar 9 00:06:36 CET 2024

Here's a quick thought:

You might use two timer peripherals on the PIC18F. Both would be fed from the same master clock source, but each might have different pre-dividers and periods.

One would implement the sequencer clock, and would not necessarily be anchored to anything but the incoming MIDI clock. As tempo changes, this timer would vary in speed.

The other timer would run 8 to 16 times higher resolution, perhaps more, and this would be a local time reference. This second timer would be how you measure the time between incoming MIDI messages, and thus it would measure the incoming clock rate. This timer would never change because it's the reference for measuring other things. Like a real-time wall clock, but hopefully more accurate. The period has to be fast enough to detect slight changes in the incoming MIDI clock.

Brian