[sdiy] Free SSM2044, SSM2056 chips for pickup and one question about single supply VCAs

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Thu Mar 7 01:46:07 CET 2024

Just thinking out loud here...

If you want or need to use -12V as a reference, then you'll have to consider a couple of things. First, I assume that many -12V supplies are poorly regulated. If that's the case, then you probably can't get too far. Second, if the -12V supply is well-regulated, then you might be able to use it as a reference if you run a low-impedance trace all the way back to the supply input. So long as all of the high-current -12V current takes a different path, most of the supply noise will be on different traces.

Then again, there's the big debate between power planes versus star ground and star power distribution techniques...

Brian