[sdiy] Synth Panel Window Adhesive

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Sat Mar 2 22:22:07 CET 2024

On 2024-03-02 07:23, rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk wrote:
> You still have to mount the PCB to the panel somehow though.  And the
> tolerances mount up if you fix the window to the PCB and then offer
> that sub-assembly up to the slot in the front panel.
>
> It's great fun putting the CD welded studs on though...  This
> intentional short-circuiting of a huge electrolytic capacitor charged
> to nearly 200V and the ensuing shower of sparks is something
> electronics people generally try to avoid!  It makes quite a "pop"  ;-)
>
> -Richie,

I almost bought a CD stud welder a few years ago actually, but they were
very expensive just to save me 2 visible screws.

Mounting the PCB to the panel can be done with pots and jacks, provided
they're placed around the design for enough support. I know some
designers would really like to avoid visible fasteners where possible,
so attaching the plastic to the PCB with standoffs is a nice way of
doing that.

I'm not sure what you mean about the tolerances  being an issue, I was
envisioning the perspex to be oversize compared to the window and
sitting behind the front panel. fasteners on the plexi perimeter corners
would not be seen through the front panel window. X and Y can be off my
mm's without issue here, only Z would really matter but the height of
pcb mounted pots and jacks is known, controlled and accurate - and so
are standoffs for the plexi height. Hope that makes sense..

Mike