[sdiy] Digital is more analog than analog... and it has 319 dB headroom...

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sat Mar 2 20:48:37 CET 2024

On Sat, Mar 02, 2024 at 07:44:12PM +0000, rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk wrote:
> I'm guessing this guy's brain has a digital audio input jack, otherwise how
> else does he plan to enjoy that 319dB of dynamic range!?!?!?  Heaven forbid
> he has to convert his digital information to an analogue voltage first and
> to amplify it and put it through analogue headphones or loudspeakers before
> he gets to enjoy it!

If you start from a 1 microvolt noise floor you end up around 1 gigavolt at 0dBFS, which is enough that you can accelerate the electrons directly into your brain tissue, Therac-25 style.

Given that kind of output level it's no wonder that my resolutely digital Novation Xiosynth (which I'm sure must have pretty much all of 300dB of dynamic range) has such horrible battery life.

--
Gordonjcp