[sdiy] Synth Panel Window Adhesive

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Fri Mar 1 00:18:53 CET 2024

1. If you're OK with visible fasteners, the perspex can be laser cut
with holes to mount from behind or in front of the panel. The front can
then have countersunk holes for the fasteners. If the front panel is
black, you can do black oxide nuts and they'll be pretty hidden.

2. Thin bond tape. Again, plexiglass is cut oversize and attached from
behind, with a border of thin bond tape. This stuff is pretty insanely
sticky, I've used it for a few things. 3M has a selector to guide you to
the right product to use:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bonding-and-assembly-us/double-sided-tape/thin-bonding-tape/product-selector/

3. Adhesive. Once again, plexiglass is cut oversize and attached from
behind. The challenge will be finding an adhesive that works on powder
coating, it can be very hard - I've struggled with it before. Your best
bet here is to call 3M, ask for the engineering department and tell them
you need assistance in selecting an adhesive and tell them what your two
substrates are. Companies like this that still have telephones are very
responsive to questions like this and can be very helpful.

Hope that helps!

Mike