[sdiy] Innovative Oscillator Design (or not ?)

mjbauer at iprimus.com.au mjbauer at iprimus.com.au
Thu Apr 11 03:13:28 CEST 2024

Thanks, Roman. You and other correspondents have convinced me that my
initial approach was flawed and would most likely result in some sort of
unwanted audible artifact. (The initial approach was that the firmware
would adjust the PWM duty dynamically, cycle by cycle.)

René advised that some other DCO designs (also using an analog
integrator) achieve pitch accuracy using a precision timer/counter to
set the output wave period. The integrator charge/discharge rates are
set using a DAC controlled current source. The accuracy of the current
source is not as critical, but the error results in (minor) errors in
the output signal amplitude. The amplitude error is not problematic.

Hence, my revised approach is to use a 16-bit timer/counter in the MCU
to set the output wave period. The integrator charge/discharge rates
will still be set using the PWM scheme, but the integrator will be reset
at the end of each period. I have not yet done the calculations to
determine the range of frequency over which this scheme would give
adequate pitch accuracy for musical purposes, but my intuition tells me
it will be acceptable... perhaps 3 octaves.

I don't care if anyone has already patented this idea... I'm just
experimenting for my own amusement. To commercialize an idea, you need
to be very wealthy, very brave, very bold or very delusional...
preferably all of the above!

MJB

Links:
------