[sdiy] LCD hot rodding

mark verbos markverbos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:35:34 CEST 2024

> On Apr 8, 2024, at 3:29 PM, Roman Sowa <modular at go2.pl> wrote:
>
> I wouldn't want to sound rude, but if something works, even barely, like one row display, that's a good sign that power polarity is correct and reversing it then is like sticking a fork in power outlet.

So it seems.

> Your OLED replacement was't probably fully 44780 compatible, or it was the other way - original one was some kind of freaky one, not compatible with 44780. I'd try any cheap LCD now to see what is still working.

It still works with the original, just without backlight.

> About solid black boxes - are they in one or two lines? If there is only one line of black boxes, it may mean it just got power and nothing else plus very miss-set contrast. If you see 2 lines, it means that some config codes were succesfully written to the display so at least the LCD controller IC is working.

One row. Controlling the contrast just dimmed the black boxes. Looking at the data lines, everything looks pretty curved on the rise. In the schematic, I notice that each line going to the display has a 10k pull up and a 10k pull down. Could this be the problem?

Mark