[sdiy] LCD hot rodding

mark verbos markverbos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:38:21 CEST 2024

I have a Linn 9000 on which I’d like to replace the display. It is a 16x2 EL backlit one. I bought an OLED one and an LED lighted one from Mouser. Inspired by what Forat does, I got bigger ones. The original display uses a 14 pin, dual row connector.
First I plugged in the OLED one it looked great, but only the top row displayed. Checking my work, I noticed that I had the power pins reversed, according to the document I was referencing. I switched them and now the display is dead. It turns out the document I was looking at for a 14 pin connector on a LCD display was wrong  and I had gotten lucky having them the right way to start. All the other wires buzzed out ok, I’m afraid to buy another display, unless someone tells me it’s possible to get it working.

Second, I plugged in the LED backlighted one today. The backlighting looks great, but I only get solid black boxes all the way across the screen.

Does anyone know about these things? What am I doing wrong here?

Mark

PS. The Linn’s power supply was already melted down when I got it. I brought that back to life. This thing has the Forat sampling mods, which is a rat’s nest. I have software 7.01 (7.09 is the latest). Emails to Forat bounced. Is he still in business?