[sdiy] Negative-going triggers in the Boss DR-110 drum machine - Why?

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 12:43:24 CEST 2023

I'm guessing it's so that they can use those PNP Common Emitter stages
to boost the current for charging the envelope capacitors.  If they used
active-high pulses coming out of the micro instead they would have to
have an NPN at the bottom and a PNP at the top to get sufficient current
to charge the envelope capacitors.  So using active-low pulses out of
the micro means they can do away with the common-emitter NPN at the
bottom and drive the C-E PNP at the top directly, saving a few NPN
transistors.

-Richie,