[sdiy] 4 channel mixer of signals with frequencies between 2Mhz and lower.. any circuits available.. ??

mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com
Thu Sep 28 22:57:31 CEST 2023

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023, Jean-Pierre Desrochers wrote:

> Here is a block diagram of something that could work for me..

2MHz isn't a very high frequency.  If the insertion loss of a passive
mixer is good enough, I think you can probably get away with just using
four resistors.

If you really need impedance matching, then you can build a slightly more
complicated resistive network.  If you need gain, or less loss, then add
an amplifier afterward - and then you do face possible intermodulation,
but it's no worse than amplifiers in this frequency range ever are.  An op
amp follower with a high-bandwidth op amp is probably good enough, though
maybe not the cheapest way to do it.  And I think it's unlikely that you
have very specific and stringent requirements with respect to intermod,
else you wouldn't be asking the question here.

RF becomes deep magic in the gigahertz range but 2MHz is hardly even RF at
all by modern standards.  It shouldn't be necessary to overthink this.

--
Matthew Skala
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.