[sdiy] Ultrasonic cleaning solutions

Andrei Kudryavtsev andrei.kudryavtsev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:00:32 CEST 2023

Hi All,
I have PCBs with SMD and TH parts, and also with plastic connectors. SMD
parts are machine soldered, TH components are manually installed. Obviously
some flux residue is visible from manual soldering.
I have a 22L ultrasonic cleaner with a temperature control.
The boards are quite large, like 100x250mm or so.
Wondering if you can share some experience using an ultrasonic cleaner to
avoid solvent based sprays and mechanical cleaning.
There are some threads of using IPA inside small zip lock bags to avoid
evaporation, which seems to work well for small boards and is relatively
safe. However it's not my option due to the board size.
I also see some "ultrasonic flux remover" detergents on eBay, but for some
reason they are all in the UK.
Also I found the specialized Flux Off by Chemtronics but have never tried
it.
Please, suggest.

--
Andrei Kudryavtsev,

My last album *Two Match - The 1st Fill* on iTunes
<http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-1st-fill/id1241529125> and Spotify
<https://open.spotify.com/album/4aM8DzmN5yi4ho1gcmC8ls>
Follow me on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/andrei.kudryavtsev.5>,
Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/deftaudio/>