[sdiy] Question about tri-state buffers and encoders

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 21:55:45 CEST 2023

As mentioned tri-state is typically used for buses. You don't want to
use pull-downs on those. You use pull-ups to keep the bus from floating.
If you use pull-downs you're fighting the resistors when the signals go
high. If you use a high resistance with pull-downs with CMOS it will
probably work. If you use a lower resistance then you may not be able to
pull the signal high when needed.

Jay S.