[sdiy] Question about tri-state buffers and encoders

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Sun Sep 10 23:42:37 CEST 2023

Hey David,

Leaving a CMOS logic input open is an error.  The sooper high input impedance means that the pin could accumulate charge and float to any level; low, high, in between, perhaps even beyond the rails.

For the CD4532, many of the inputs go through two inverters in a row, so it's entirely possible that it found a state where, say, "a" and "not a" where both low, and it broke the priority logic.

  -- Don
--
Donald Tillman, Palo Alto, California
https://www.till.com