[sdiy] What do people use for matched transistors these days?

Kenny kenny at beatkamp.com
Sat Sep 9 15:50:38 CEST 2023

I was afraid to say this first. When I use newly manufactured transistors, I just take two in succession from the same strip. ie) I don't bother. The TTSH I built with this method sounds and performs lovely.With a pile of NOS transistors, that is obviously not going to fly.
-------- Original message --------From: Quincas Moreira via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> Date: 2023-09-09  12:36  (GMT+00:00) To: Scott Bernardi <scottbernardi55 at gmail.com> Cc: SDIY List <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> Subject: Re: [sdiy] What do people use for matched transistors these days? For a long time I’ve just been using neighboring resistors from the same strip. Manufacturing processes are more precise these days, All my oscillators track well this wayOn Fri 8 Sep 2023 at 17:36 Scott Bernardi via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:Right now I'm looking at matched pnp's, suitable for a VCO.  Something like the THAT-320 quad pnp would be ideal, but they are kind of pricey. The quad is nice because you have an extra matched transistor you can use for high frequency tracking adjustment.I ordered some BCM856's to see how they will pan out.  I think the VBE match will be good enough, I'm wondering about the base resistance that causes deviation from ideal log conformance.For npn's, THAT-300 or MAT14 are the best, also pricey.