[sdiy] High-K ceramics and audio

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Wed Nov 29 22:35:52 CET 2023

In the 70s there were two sorts of tantalums.  One sort was highly reliable and recommended for design by companies such as HP, and on the Voyager spacecraft, that didn't allow electrolytics except where absolutely necessary.  And the other sort were cheaper and crap - they suddenly died after 10 to 20 years.

Guess which type all the modern SMD tantalums are ?  Obviously the technology has improved, so they don't die after 10 years, but the aging process of aluminium electrolytics is now well understood and it's much easier to design a product to last a long time.

Which in other words means you don't have to 'decap' every electrolytic in your classic mixer :-)