[sdiy] Using switching power supplies in series to get bipolar outputs?

S Ridley spridley1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 18:29:20 CET 2023

Scott

It's worth having a look at the data sheet:

https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/Rt-65/RT-65-spec.pdf

These are 5v supplies with a couple of extra taps for the 12v & -12v, so
you need to draw a significant current at 5v for the supply to work
correctly.  The Meanwell 65B recommends a greater than 10% load on the 5v
(so at least 800mA) for the other rails (12v) to regulate within spec.
There's also 120mV of ripple on the +12v.

Steve