[sdiy] SSM2040 vs CEM3320

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Thu Nov 2 14:06:23 CET 2023

  *   From: Synth-diy <synth-diy-bounces at synth-diy.org> on behalf of René Schmitz <synth at schmitzbits.de>

  *   I've been pondering about this: How can this be patentable, if this is so similar in its working principle, and all the parts had been used elsewhere.

You can patent almost anything - the people at the patent office have no chance of working out if your idea is actually original so usually don't bother unless you're patenting the mobile phone or perpetual motion.

But obviously if you tried to sue someone for violating it, it would never hold up in court.

I think a lot of this nonsense began in the mid-80s when large companies started cross-licencing patents to each other so they didn't ever sue each other, but it helped keep smaller companies out of their territory.  If you've got ten thousand patents, one of them might stick.