[sdiy] Prophet 5 rev2 conundrum

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed May 3 09:24:42 CEST 2023

This is why a 'scope with recording abilities would be helpful. I suspect that the tuning operation is starting, but a fault is found so quickly that the tuning subroutine quits immediately. With a 'scope, you'd see the signals on the multiplexer chips and the CV outputs change when the tuning starts, and there'd probably be some clue as to why it stops faster than a human can observe.

Nathan's suggestion to look at the CV output during tuning seems like a good next step. I realize that tuning "doesn't start" - but I suspect it's actually trying to start, running a million instructions per second, and just stops on the first problem. i.e. Although the algorithm will hang on a bad oscillator, it might not hang if some other problem is detected.

The fact that everything other than the tuning function is working tells me that the CPU and firmware are all running correctly - unless you have a bad EPROM that only has bad data in the tuning subroutine.

If anyone has disassembled the P5R2 firmware, that might help. I've done this for the Matrix-12, but it's a tedious task. Understanding what tuning does might help discover what's wrong with this voice board.

I was wondering if the tuning button could be shorting out something, but since the power-up tuning isn't taking the usual 5 to 7 seconds, that would mean it isn't the button.

Brian