[sdiy] is there a keyboard with keys that can be pulled out?

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Tue May 2 11:23:13 CEST 2023

That is a funny image, but they weren't spring-loaded.

As the OP said, these are for "an additional axis of performance." The adept keyboardist would slide their fingers in and out while playing the usual chords and lines. The videos that I saw didn't make it look like it was 100% natural, but I could see how it would be feasible with practice.

These days, we have the luxury of Force Sensing Resistor sheets, or Capacitive Sensing technology, making it much easier to allow similar movements to be converted to MIDI expression without the need for complex mechanical designs.

But there is something different about moving your finger along the surface of a fixed key versus using your finger to actually move that key in an extra degree of freedom of movement.

Brian