[sdiy] VCF on a FPAA

Lanterman, Aaron D lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Tue May 2 08:51:26 CEST 2023

> On May 2, 2023, at 1:37 AM, Roman <modular at go2.pl> wrote:
>
> Not really sure what will be their target though, as it's possibly super expensive and everything it does can be done with better performance in traditional analog way or digitally.

The actual “killer app" — i.e. the reason Jen Hasler gets funding for the FPAA research — is ultra-low power applications (she often runs MOSFETs in the subthreshold region, etc.). I’m just piggybacking on that and trying stuff cause I think synthesizers are cool. :)

> What amazes me the most is that your students are working with technology that is not commercially available yet. Something unthinkable when I was studying. Maybe even today.

This was a unique opportunity. Lenno (the student in my synth class) happens to be a student of Jen’s, and was using an FPAA for his master’s research (basically analog implementations of what’s usually a digital audio codec). When I realized that I decided it would be cool to try something on the FPAA for his project. (The rest of the students are making modules in the Abused Engineering format by Tangible Waves, more on that to come later).

Aaron Lanterman, Prof. of ECE, Georgia Tech
My blog on Education and Innovation: https://edupocalypsenow.wordpress.com
My blog on Electronics and Programming: https://lantertronics.blogspot.com
My YouTube channel on Electronics and Programming: https://www.youtube.com/c/lantertronics