[sdiy] Niche ACM-1 how's this thing work?

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Mar 22 06:43:45 CET 2023

Perceptible noise is about more than just dB differences - it's also important to consider frequency.

For electronic music with strong, low-freqeuncy bass notes, the zipper noise will be in a different octave. Psychoacoustically, that means the zipper noise is in a different critical band (see Bark scale).

I've heard some audiophile products in the $5,000 range with DPOTs and rotary encoders that sounded fine playing The Beatles, but once Aphex Twin hits the speakers there is zipper noise all over the place when adjusting the volume encoder. Those even have the zero-crossing circuits, but it doesn't help because the gain is still changing in steps, and that amounts to FM (i.e the step contains infinite frequencies, and the step multiplies the audio signal).

Brian