[sdiy] Niche ACM-1 how's this thing work?

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Mar 21 15:56:17 CET 2023

This is a good point. MDACs or even digital pots work best in situations where you set a value and then leave it. That's ok for quite a lot of programmable stuff, but it doesn't suit things where there's an element of performance control likely. For that, a DAC controlling a VCA is a better bet, since the VCA's CV can be heavily smoothed to avoid any zippering. A mixing desk is a bit of both depending on how you use it, so it's a tricky one.

The old Sequential Pro-FX 500 system I was looking into some months ago used plenty of MDACs ( the 7524, 8-bit, still available) for audio level control. It was probably a top-end solution at the time.