[sdiy] Niche ACM-1 how's this thing work?

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Tue Mar 21 11:25:36 CET 2023

You can make multiplying DAC out of 2 any DACs with external reference
input. Both DACs must be controlled by the same SPI. The Vref of 1st DAC
is driven with your input of interest, say mxer's channel audio, but
with added voltage offset to midscale so the signal fits within DAC's
ratings. The Vref of 2nd DAC takes only the offset itself. Then the
output of 2nd DAC is reversed and added to the output of 1st DAC.
Despite the hassle and complexity it's still cheaper than "real"
multiplying DAC.

Roman