[sdiy] MIDI-2

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Mar 15 09:09:57 CET 2023

I'll go on record as saying, "If MIDI 1.0 can't do everything people need, then they should read the specifications."

I've been hired to go into people's studios to help them configure "OSC" - because they're certain MIDI won't work - and then I show them that their fancy OSC app is actually using MIDI behind the scenes to connect all the devices apart to their iPad. Some people won't use MIDI unless it's branded "OSC."

I also demonstrated a multi-touch pressure sensitive control surface that fully qualifies as an "MPE" device, and got it to talk to a 1984 Oberheim Matrix-12 - without any firmware modifications - because, what do you know, MIDI 1.0 from 1984 can handle 3-dimensional control in real time without anything more than knowledge of the spec. Some people won't use MIDI unless it's redesigned to do the exact same thing with needlessly different messages.

... but thanks for the links. I've been meaning to read something about MIDI 2.0 and this might just get me to do it. Then again, I might just read the MIDI 1.0 spec again ... or maybe Dave's USI document (there's a beauty of a spec that we never got a chance to use).

Brian Willoughby