[sdiy] New cute "Microcontrollers" - STM32U with integrated GPU for UIs (+math accel + analog stuff)

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat Mar 4 11:34:51 CET 2023

The Cortex-M0 is the "new kid on the block." Despite the small number "0" that implies it might have been "first."

I recall that it came out after the Cortex-M4, which was fairly late in the game. The M0 is specifically designed to be as small as possible, in all aspects: size, power, price, capabilities. I couldn't find any dates on when M0, M1, M3, M4, M7, M23, M33, M35, M55 each came out, but maybe it was the Cortex-M0+ that came out after the Cortex-M4.

I agree that sometimes it's not worth all the extra effort to get repeatable behavior, when choosing a simpler processor design will just be repeatable by its nature. I have a love/hate relationship with the PIC. It has some of the benefits of being a simple design, but it's also maddeningly weird.

I worked on a TMS320 DSP design where I ended up using every bus, all memory, and every cycle - sometimes more than once! The C55xx has five busses (three read and two write) and some memory that can be accessed twice in the same cycle. The instruction set even allows certain instructions to run at the same time, so long as they don't alter the same resources. By the time I had everything going, I found some bugs because I had so much going on, and only solved it by moving things around in the single-memory versus dual-memory areas. It was technically a repeatable instruction set, but with DMA running a 4 MHz DAC and multiple 1 MHz ADC, there was contention for the busses from sources other than the code that was running.

Brian Willoughby