[sdiy] New cute "Microcontrollers" - STM32U with integrated GPU for UIs (+math accel + analog stuff)

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Sat Mar 4 11:13:25 CET 2023

 >  The STM32F4 is a Cortex-M series design, so by the ARM standard it's
considered a Microcontroller. Not really much controversy there

Still, compared to Cortex-M0, they are more complex. But all those chips
tend to have several different buses and things aren't as in sync as
they are on an old AVR. You need different barrier instructions here and
there to make things work correctly (reliably). (although some are even
needed on the smaller ones w.r.t. changing interrupt settings IIRC, due
to some silicon (or CAD) bug)
If you have to (correctly) persuade the thing to produce repeatable
behavior, at least to me it doesn't feel like a good old straightforward
MCU ;)

- Steve

brianw: