[sdiy] Yves Usson's Minimoog Filter

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 09:37:49 CEST 2023

I have two thoughts. First is the schematic says (at each transistor)
BC547C, with the C suffix indicating higher HFE. The Onsemi/Fairchild
datasheet shows the C grade to have Hfe of 420 to 800. From my study
of the Moog filter, the original "special" TIS97 transistors had a HFE
of around 800. This is higher than the average 2n3904, but not WAY
higher, so I don't know if it would make a significant difference.
I've wanted to make this kind of filter with transistor sockets so I
could easily find out, especially if there's really any magic related
to the "special" transistors as some have claimed.

The other thought is the input signal level. I recall part of the
filter's sound has to do with the input being slightly or moderately
overdriven (with the Minimoog mixer level at full volume), so try
increasing the input level until the tone changes, and see if that's
more to your liking.