[sdiy] Generating running status

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 11:28:41 CEST 2023

Hi guys and girls,

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure MIDI-OX to make use of
running status for transmission?   ...and how you do it?

I'm trying to test a MIDI parser on an embedded platform and just
realised that I don't actually have any hardware handy that makes use of
running status in transmitted messages.

I did a bit of research and some comments online seem to suggest that it
is possible to make MIDI-OX use running status for outgoing messages,
but they didn't say how.  (On a related note, I learned that you can't
use MIDI-OX to look at a received message with running status because
the Windows MIDI driver automatically re-inserts the missing status byte
before passing a complete MIDI message to MIDI-OX.  Definitely worth
knowing as that would have had me puzzled for some time!)

-Richie,