[sdiy] SE01 Sound Effects Kit board

NT nathan at idmclassics.net
Thu Jun 1 08:51:41 CEST 2023

The Remco used a SN76488NF - nearly identical to the SN76477 but with an
internal amplifier. I think it also came out a year or two earlier.

I was asked to fix a Remco a few years ago and was never able to get the
envelope fully working, even trying half a dozen chips from different
sources and date codes. I've seen multiple datasheets for these with slight
variations on pinout and (iirc) gating and envelope control. Also could
never find any video of the envelope working in a standard attack/release
as the datasheet or Remco instructions described. I suspect the chips were
never fully functional, or it's incredibly easy to break the envelope
circuit on the chip even following the simple datasheet examples. Wasted
too much money hitting dead ends.

I am a big fan of the sounds from the Blacet Darkstar which used a SN76477,
which focuses more on the noise generator.

Nathan