[sdiy] Transporting line level audio in home / buzz-free USB wall warts?

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 05:42:26 CEST 2023

> Why not send the audio via bluetooth?

the protocol adds intelligibility problems due to compression, at
least 250 ms delay which will change from speaker to speaker making it
difficult to understand speech and making music annoying, and it
doesn't work through multiple walls.

> Or ditch the bluetooth speakers and install regular speakers running from an amp.  You could go 70V or standard without issues at those distances, though 70V would probably be easier.

a 40 euro bluetooth speaker will provide sound quality far superior to
anything you can build for 40 euro using an external amplifier, own
transducer, and own enclosure. it'll also be easier to clean as it'll
have a smooth surface compared to a self made wooden or 3d printed
enclosure. it'll be much smaller, not getting in the way of what the
purpose of the room is. and most importantly, it doesn't need to be
built.

a central amplifier can't have single channels turned off, wasting
energy and generating heat which makes the room uncomfortable. a
bluetooth speaker turns itself off almost fully every time there's no
sound, even if just for a few seconds.

power cables are thicker and more difficult to run hidden in a
brick-and-concrete building, perhaps making this whole thing
impossible to do.