[sdiy] I’m Looking for a simple circuit that simulates this type of battery (12V 9AH)

Jean-Pierre Desrochers jpdesroc at oricom.ca
Mon Jul 3 01:03:15 CEST 2023

Just put a big power resistor or rheostat in parallel with the bench power supply. This load will act to sink the current from the charger and stop it driving up the terminal voltage of the power

supply. Using a bench power supply to model a battery will fail without this parallel resistance to absorb the power because the power supply can't absorb energy itself. At a pinch something

like a car headlight bulb will probably suffice as the load if you haven't got a suitable rheostat at hand and don't want to test with an actual real battery!

I thought about doing that but was hesitating ..  I’ll give it a try !

I'm guessing you just want to check the charging current sourced by the charger for various different "battery" terminal voltages?

I  want to check the ‘threshold’ voltage from where the charger will START charging (around 10V I guess – Zener D6)
and the battery voltage that will signal the END of charging (around 13.6V or more I guess – Zeners D7+D8).

A battery voltage of around 10VDC or less will keep the charger from charging the battery.

That’s what I’ll test..