[sdiy] My Player piano roll project... refining my design.. QRS test roll follow up..

Jean-Pierre Desrochers jpdesroc at oricom.ca
Tue Apr 11 21:38:59 CEST 2023

I just received a QRS test roll for testing all my 87 piano notes/sensors
and the test passed perfectly ! No missing note ! Even when tempo accelerated.
I’m VERY happy !

Here is the thing,

These old paper rolls have always had tendencies to 'undulate' over time..

I mean even if you align the paper let's say to the left from a known
paper hole position with the corresponding tracker bar hole
after a short while the paper alignment will slowly drift left or right
and you'll lose your 'alignment' and start loosing notes appearing
on the paper roll. So you cannot align then 'forget' what will happen.

But I found a very easy way to stabilize the paper position
all over the paper length.

But first let me describe my path so far..

My first attempts were to read the paper's far left/right edges

Using the tracker bar holes there for this purpose..

2 to the left and 2 to the right.

Well this approach worked very well for the original pneumatics

auto stabilisation. But using these 4 holes with optic sensors

didn't work very well.. Here is why:

The 4 holes pneumatics workings were pretty 'forgiving' and tolerant
for any varying paper width, undulations and thickness (no paper crossing optics back then)
but could nevertheless detect any changes in the paper alignment
and act upon. Using optical sensors needed them to be at very precise
positions within the tracker bar to produce the same fast results
as the pneumatics.

And that assuming the paper rolls width are ALL exactly the same
which is not the case.

Working Solution:

So.. Instead of checking BOTH left and right sides of the paper
why not use only one sensor.. let’s say one of the two far left ones.

And check the HI or LOW state of it while the paper roll is playing

                                    Transition zone

______________________ _|

  HI, No IR beam so                  |  LOW, IR beam passing so

   Paper over sensor                 |  edge too far right that let beam pass

   Push paper to the right        |  Push the paper to the left

                                                    |_______________________

The thing here is to try to keep the paper at the ‘transition’ zone
which is impossible  ->  but this keeps the centering motor working
all the time (almost.. since there is a slight delay between each changes)
and keep the paper aligned within less than 1mm precision !!!
Please note each paper holes have around 2mm in width so alignment is paramount !
Two sensors would not give this precision (unless there is a more elaborate design around them)
The only thing I have to do now is to adjust the ‘offset’ screw
at the left of the roll mechanism to align the paper holes
with the tracker holes just before playing the roll. That’s all.
But this time there is an auto-alignment working afterward !

Using this method shrunk a lot the centering software

and saved me around 15 piano rolls that were unreadable
and more ‘undulated’ and difficult to read than all the rest of rolls I had..
These rolls were almost ready for dumpster..
But using this easy technics I can now read them and saved them.

Too long email but explanations are always worthwhile.

Jean-Pierre