[sdiy] My Player piano roll project... refining my design

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Tue Apr 11 12:17:21 CEST 2023

How precise are all rolls ever made? I mean I find it hard to believe
that paper rolls made 100 years ago were so precisely made that paper
edge was in +/-0.1mm tolerance distance from the lowest or top note
hole. What I'm saying is that maybe it's better to adjust paper position
based on actual note sensors, and don't really care about the edges?
OTOH it might be too complex, because you'd have to monitor the
amplitudes of all sensors, multiplying circuits complexity a few times.

As for paper edge location stability, I like Gerry's idea, it's the way
to do it, but you may also go one step further, and use linear scanning
sensor, the kind used in flatbed scanners, or industrial positioning
systems. This will give you wide range of exact location info.
You could even make simplified linear scanner on your own, just put a
bunch of small phototransistors side by side, read them all by ADC and
calculate measured paper edge location in the micro controlling stepper
motors.

Roman