[sdiy] My Player piano roll project... refining my design

Jean-Pierre Desrochers jpdesroc at oricom.ca
Mon Apr 10 02:20:42 CEST 2023

Hi again Gerry,

> Hi JP

> Another attempt at attaching the image. This time as a gif.

> Hope you can open it.

It worked !

> I think if you use two sensors, you have the increased accuracy that comes from two signals when balanced.

> If you use one sensor, you would be comparing the signal to a reference voltage but the sensor signal could vary with temperature or supply variations.

> Using two sensors, each would be equally affected by temperature & voltage variations and this would reduce the system error.

The idea of using only one sensor was without any opamp at all.

Only the sensor’s open collector output to a micro-controller..

Here again are my thoughts on that:

But what about using only one sensor at the right paper side??

If the output is low (IR beam passes , Paper too far left) move the paper right

If the output is high (IR beam hidden,  Paper too far right) move the paper left

This way the centering will continually look for the output ‘transition’ position
to ‘consider’ the paper is at the right position..

But ONLY at the transition position.
But doing so the centering will ALWAYS be working.. but that could be OK
for a very precise centering..

Another attempt at attaching the image. This time as a gif.

Hope you can open it.

I think if you use two sensors, you have the increased accuracy that comes from two signals when balanced.

If you use one sensor, you would be comparing the signal to a reference voltage but the sensor signal could vary with temperature or supply variations.

Using two sensors, each would be equally affected by temperature & voltage variations and this would reduce the system error.

That's just the way it seems to me.

Happy to hear others views.

Best regards

Gerry

But what about using only one sensor at the right paper side??

If the output is low (IR beam passes , Paper too far left) move the paper right

If the output is high (IR beam hidden,  Paper too far right) move the paper left

This way the centering will continually look for the output ‘transition’ position
to ‘consider’ the paper is at the right position..

But ONLY at the transition position.
But doing so the centering will ALWAYS be working.. but that could be OK
for a very precise centering.. Hmmm..