[sdiy] what opamp for "warmth"? (I know, I know...)

S Ridley spridley1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:37:48 CEST 2023

Neil

If it has to be an opamp solution, the LM324 *might* be worth a look.  It's
output is known to produce significant crossover distortion under certain
conditions - also, it's a single rail device so will still give some
headroom from a +9v supply.  (It's also easily available and cheap.)  OTOH
crossover distortion will give mainly odd harmonics, and you'd have to make
sure the output isn't sourcing current at mid rail voltage output - the
usual fix for the crossover distortion is a resistor to -ve supply.

There's some discussion here:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/341843/adding-a-resistor-to-reduce-crossover-distortion-in-an-lm324-lm358

Might be too subtle for your needs.

Steve