[sdiy] what opamp for "warmth"? (I know, I know...)

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Tue Apr 4 02:50:11 CEST 2023

I'm not aware of any op-amp that are non-linear to the degree that it would be musical. The feedback pretty much serves to linearize the whole circuit.

However, you can "fix" any op-amp by putting a couple of diodes across the input in a way that makes the output track the input in a non-linear way. My first guitar amplifier had diodes in the feedback of the op-amp (as opposed to across the +/- inputs) and that was capable of introduction a great deal of non-linearity, although perhaps a bit more than you're after.

I don't have any circuits to share, but you'll probably have better luck designing something that is supposed to be non-linear, so you can use any decent op-amp, rather than make your product dependent upon a one-in-ten-thousand special op-amp.

Brian Willoughby