[sdiy] [OT] LM13700 spotted in commercial product of big Manufacturer

Benjamin Tremblay btremblay at me.com
Mon May 16 13:08:07 CEST 2022

This thread so reminds me of the software engineering discussions I have at my day job. So much effort goes into the workflow and so many arguments made for efficiency and streamlining the process and how if we all do everything the same way we will finally, finally, finally eliminate all potential for error.

And so naturally for me it’s the implied process which is the tricky part. I like all the modern workflow and tooling:

Build a simulation of your circuit.
Build a schematic, find all your parts and map to bom, and check your routes.
Put it on a pcb cad program (sounds like eagle is the on valid choice here) lay out your parts, do your routing, add terminals for controls and connectors, rails, and room for decoupling caps.
Work with a vendor who can do the smt assembly if you want.
Print a small batch, and check them for errors.
When ready print more.

In so many ways this is ideal. However I do think a dope like me will always need breadboarding and being able to prototype by hand. It’s not efficient and it shows a certain degree of cluelessness: I don’t know how it will all work out before I have it powered up. But hey, that’s part of my own process and I do learn from this.

I believe we must always have a way to do these things by hand. If that means being able to buy small batches of parts pre-mounted to test/evaluation on LEGO bricks that will fit on a breadboard, so be it.

Ben

Benjamin Tremblay
btremblay at me.com
330 Fiske Street