[sdiy] [OT] LM13700 spotted in commercial product of big Manufacturer

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sun May 15 22:32:57 CEST 2022

On May 15, 2022, at 09:52, David G Dixon via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:
> Matthew Skala said:
>
> # We don't need a weatherman to tell which way this wind is blowing. #
>
> I was discussing this with my wife yesterday, and I said "I give DIP chips
> about another five years at the outside.  That means that I'll be doing
> electronics for maybe another five years, because I am not going to fart
> around with those fiddly diddly micro parts -- been there, done that, no fun
> at all."

Personally, I gave up on soldering things myself. Sure, it's fun to get a prototype one day sooner, if you're willing to design exclusively with through-hole parts and then solder them yourself. But I'd rather pay somebody $30 to have everything soldered. It only takes a day or two longer, and the results are nearly always perfect. I suppose I'm spoiled by living next to a PCB assembly house, but overseas delivery is available, too.

By paying someone to solder, I free up my time to spend on design (before) and enjoyment (after).

Also, I noticed that the 1U section of my Intellijel modular case will barely fit an interesting design with DIP parts. SMD makes things fit into that crazy, tiny, new modular format. Boy was it a pain to switch from DIP to SMD after the prototype, but I literally had to assemble the PCB inside the case because it's too thick to pass through from the front.

Brian Willoughby