[sdiy] [OT] LM13700 spotted in commercial product of big Manufacturer

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sun May 15 00:44:40 CEST 2022

The writing is on the wall for DIP. Eventually, all DIP packages will be discontinued. There's nothing particular about the LM13700 in that respect.

Choosing to design a product now by focusing on DIP packaging seems like a very poor business decision, particularly in contrast to selecting parts based on their capabilities. I'm ignoring hobby electronics.

There have actually been products that were notorious for failing because the DIP packages are not soldered in place. SMD does not have that problem (although BGA does have its own issues in the presence of several heat-cycling).

Brian