[sdiy] GCC vs Clang for Audio DSP

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:21:45 CEST 2022

On 5/5/22 00:16, Mike Bryant wrote:

> But not sure why you count clang as proprietary.  It's open-source as much as gcc is, just development is paid for by the top companies and they have agreed to follow standards completely.   I accept GNU have as well, but if you look at some other open-source developments, notably Firefox where they refuse to implement parts of standards that they were on the standards body working on, you can see that what I assume you count as 'non-proprietary' (but maybe another name is needed), is becoming a flawed model.  Same with Blender, GIMP and Kicad of course where some changes seem to be made almost on a whim with no logical reason, often breaking legacy stuff.

I don't consider the freely available clang as proprietary, however from
the results I've demonstrated here and also from assertions in earlier
discussions on the topic one must use the ARM/Apple/etc versions of
clang to achieve the best performance because while these corporations
support development of the tool they apparently hold some of the better
optimizations back for themselves in order to provide them to paying
customers.