[sdiy] GCC vs Clang for Audio DSP

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Thu May 5 09:16:19 CEST 2022

> The only place where I'd take exception is the statement that "gcc is past its use-by date". I think these results show clearly that it still has some life in it, even if only for lower-end embedded systems. A variety of corporate sponsors including ARM are
> still actively supporting its development and although it's been around the block it remains a useful tool for those who choose not to support the proprietary offerings.

> Eric

That is exactly what I said Eric.  Gcc is past it's use by date for "writing code for Macs, iPhones, Android or PCs"
Definitely still okay for low end embedded.

But not sure why you count clang as proprietary.  It's open-source as much as gcc is, just development is paid for by the top companies and they have agreed to follow standards completely.   I accept GNU have as well, but if you look at some other open-source developments, notably Firefox where they refuse to implement parts of standards that they were on the standards body working on, you can see that what I assume you count as 'non-proprietary' (but maybe another name is needed), is becoming a flawed model.  Same with Blender, GIMP and Kicad of course where some changes seem to be made almost on a whim with no logical reason, often breaking legacy stuff.