[sdiy] a provoking question about time

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Mon Jun 27 12:23:51 CEST 2022

W dniu 2022-06-26 o 22:41, Jay Schwichtenberg via Synth-diy pisze:

> A number of projects I've worked on include enough Flash for dual
> images. Usually you program the new image into the unused memory space,
> validate it and then switch the boot pointer to it. Normally you
> wouldn't do this to the bootloader, hopefully you coded it good enough
> but have also used the previous technique for them too.

that's exactly what I do

> If you are doing a critical system or secure system you will have to go
> above and beyond to deal with those issues.

critical in a sense that when you play a concert for 100.000 people you
don't want the main instrument to go silent or play random notes.
You can always switch to backup, but if it's 500kg instrument made only
in 1 piece, then it's not so easy.

> Question to ask also is the technology to update the firmware going to
> exist in 20 years and I'm including USB in that statement?

The programing procedure is described in datasheets about programming so
it's free to use by generations to come. It does not rely on USB or any
programmer in particular. As long as PICs will be popular, there will be
at least a few 3rd party programmers available. And finally, in 40 years
there will be more skilled engineers, with access to better technology,
so they will be able to simply replace a whole unit with new one,
designed and manufactured by AI in just 3 hours.

Roman