[sdiy] a provoking question about time

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 01:34:47 CEST 2022

Dave,

When I got out of college (OSU) there wasn't a lot of software jobs in
Oregon other than business/bank stuff. So I worked in field service for
3 years for DEC, Harris CSD and Tektronix terminals in Wilsonville. Tape
drives were the worse, then disk drives and the old drum line printers.

Saw a documentary on the Library of Congress where they were just doing
the initial archival going from analog to digital. That was going to
take a long time to get the initial pass done. Once done with that they
figured they would start moving from the old media to the newest media
and that would keep them busy forever.

At one time there was a lot of information from the early space missions
that was archived and never looked at. When they wanted to look at it
the hardware to do it was long gone. Someone bought a bunch of the tape
drives they used (which were some odd format, not 8 or 9 track) and
refurbished them to get the data off.

When I worked at Tek as a contractor I had to be petty anal about
archival because when I was gone someone else would have to do
maintenance on the code. Also if I came back I would of forgotten the
details of what I had done.

Stay cool this weekend.
Jay S.