[sdiy] Using dual BBD chips for higher clock frequency

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat Jun 25 07:18:42 CEST 2022

I don't know whether any company ever shipped a BBD-based product that clocked high enough to even get 20 kHz bandwidth, much less 500 kHz. Most BBD products have less than full bandwidth, such that even us old folks can hear the loss.

The MAX1326 ADC clocks up to 526 kS/s and is 14 bits.

The ADS7951 ADC clocks up to 1 MSPS and is 12 bits.

The THS5671 DAC clocks up to 125 MSPS and is also 14 bits.

I've long been curious about how much of a factor the continuously-variable sample rate of a BBD (or non-audio CODEC) is compared to the sound of a fixed-sample-rate digital design (even with software SRC to simulate variable sample rates). i.e. I wonder if the 'sound' of a BBD isn't its analog nature, or the sample rate, per se, but the fact that the sample rate changes are continuous.

Brian